General Information
ECE Innovation Stream
Where can I find information about my program?

You can find comprehensive information, including rules and regulations, in the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science Calendar. It is the ultimate resource for academia-related questions, so please read it!

Where can I find information on admission requirements for your department?

The ECE Undergraduate Office does not handle Admission work.  All Admissions information can be addressed through Queen’s Undergraduate Admissions Office.

Where can I find information about pursuing Graduate Studies in Engineering?

All information on Graduate Studies in ECE can be found on the graduate section of the ECE website. If you have any questions, you can e-mail them to the graduate program assistant Ms. Debie Fraser

How do I locate my instructor or TA?

Faculty contacts are located on our website under Faculty and Staff. Your instructor can provide you with the contact information for your TAs.

Will my undergraduate stream of specialization and professional internship shown up on my diploma?

Professional internships are recognized on the diplomas, streams of specialization are not. Undergraduate degree options are Bachelor of Applied Science or Bachelor of Applied Science with Professional Internship.

What’s the selection process for Undergraduate Teaching Assistants?

The Teaching Assistants application process begins in mid-August. All 3rd and 4th year students who have taken the course in the past 2 years and have received a grade 90% and above will be invited to apply.

By August students are expected to know their course schedule and can determine their availability to work as teaching assistants. The TA position involves helping out with the ELEC courses labs and APSC 143, APSC 112 or APSC 114 labs. The schedule of the labs and hours will be provided.

Can I take my Complementary Studies electives during the summer?

Yes. You can see the available courses and find information on online learning in the Arts and Science Online Calendar.

What should I do if I am missing, or failed a first year course?

APSC 100, APSC 112, APSC 143, APSC 171, APSC 172 and APSC 174 are pre-requisites to the ECE Programs. If you failed one or more of these courses you will be on probation in your second year and must complete the course(s) in second year or you will be required to withdraw. You will be denied access to core courses in the ECE Programs that have the failed course as a pre-requisite, and you may choose to add alternate courses, often Complementary Studies Courses, up to the maximum permitted by your probation letter. You must complete all requirements of your probation letter.

If the course is not a pre-requisite course (APSC 131, 132, 151, 161, 181 etc.), you may not need to take it immediately, although it must be re-taken and passed at some point in order to satisfy your program requirements. Sometimes course scheduling can be a challenge when students register in core courses from different years, and as a result it may be necessary to leave the course until your fourth year where there is typically more flexibility in the schedule. You are encouraged to make-up courses from previous years as soon as possible, even when they are not pre-requisites.

Note that as an upper year student you will no longer be able to register in first year courses on SOLUS. At the start of the term you will need to take your completed upper year course schedule to the Faculty Office, Rm. 300, Beamish Munro Hall with your CRRF (Course Registration Request Form). The administrative staff there will help you find time slots for the first year courses that do not conflict with your upper year courses. Check SOLUS to ensure the course(s) requested have been added correctly to your schedule.

What should I do if I am missing, or failed an upper year course?

As soon as you see that you have failed a course, consider the possibility of a supplemental exam to replace your final exam mark.

All required courses for your program and option, as well as the EPT (English Proficiency Test) for non-residents, must be completed before you can graduate. When taking a non-typical course load, plan carefully to complete your degree without too much delay by paying close attention to chains of prerequisites. Failed courses often mean you will need an additional term or an additional academic year.

If you failed a course that is a pre-requisite to a required course, or an elective, you will need to pass that course before moving on. If you failed a technical elective course or a complementary studies course, you may take a different course to replace the credits required by the program. However, if you repeat the same course and pass, the failed mark will not be included in your GPA.

Can I take two courses that are in conflict?

SOLUS will not allow you to put yourself in conflict. You might be able to select courses with conflicts provided that instructors of the courses permit it (by signing an online form). It would depend on the nature of the conflict. Course conflicts are generally not encouraged and may be refused if a student has been required to withdraw or is on probation.

Why does Solus Academic Advising display incorrect information?

Student Academic Advising on SOLUS can sometimes produce glitches. Errors can occur in course names or course substitutions and transfers.  If you notice errors that you are worried about, send a message to the UG Program advisor Irina Pavich

Can I share the code that I wrote in class on GitHub (or elsewhere)?

You may only post code that you yourself have written. If you have worked with others on the code then you must receive their permission to post it. Note that you cannot post course material that has been given to you by a professor. For example, if you are posting code that you wrote in response to an assignment question from a professor, then you cannot post the professor’s question.
You also cannot post solutions to assignments that have yet to be marked, as this constitutes a departure from academic integrity and may be subject to disciplinary action at Queen’s.

Can I register in the graduate level course?

All graduate courses must be registered on paper using an Academic Change Form (PDF) and approved by the course instructor. Send the approved signed form to your undergraduate program assistant. Next, the request needs to be reviewed by the ECE Graduate Chair.

If registration approved, the student submits a course substitution request to count the grad course towards a 4th year technical elective (if there is a plan to apply the credit towards BASC degree).