Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How do I apply for graduate studies?

    i) Fill out the application by following this link:
    ii) Send original, official transcripts to the School of Graduate Studies (SGS) 
    iii) Indicate accurate email addresses for your referees, they will be contacted and asked to supply an electronic reference 
    iv) Submit payment by credit card on-line 

    v) Contact professors who work in your area of interest to increase your chance of receiving an offer

  2. What are the English requirements for international students?

    If English is not your first language: 
    i) Go to
    ii) Submit an official copy of one of the acceptable English tests to the SGS 

    Exemptions (check with the SGS to ensure you qualify for an exemption): 
    i) If you have studied at an English-speaking university in the last year, you are exempt from providing an English test 
    ii) If you are from a country where the education system is English but the country's official language is not, you are exempt from providing an English test 

    iii) Submit a letter from the institution stating that the program was delivered in English

  3. Is there financial support for graduate students?

    The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering endeavours, as far as possible, to ensure that every full-time graduate student engaged in research has adequate financial support during his or her graduate program. This support may come from several sources, either individually or in combination: National or Provincial scholarships, Queen's University scholarships and awards, research assistantships provided by research supervisors and Departmental teaching assistantships. The level of financial support consequently varies among graduate students in the Department, with a guaranteed minimum level of $25,000 for both Masters and PhD for 2015/2016. As part of the minimum funding package, you are expected to serve as a Teaching Assistant for at least one term per year. When necessary, serving as a Teaching Assistant for a second term (competitive) will increase the funding level by $1,368 during the Winter term only. Queen's internal awards are part of the minimum funding package and will not result in an increased funding level, whereas external scholarships may result in a significant top-up of funding. 

    Cost of living information can be found at

  4. The documents required are dependent on the personal history you indicate on your application.
    General guidelines:

    i) A complete application must include official, up-to-date transcripts for all current and previous study the applicant has listed in the Academic Background section of the application.

    Acceptable methods for submitting transcripts:

    1. Transcripts can be uploaded to the online application, as PDF files. The transcripts must be scanned (black and white recommended) and saved as a PDF file, and uploaded successfully.
    2. If a transcript or transcripts cannot be successfully uploaded to the online application, applicants are responsible for ensuring that an official transcript or transcripts of all current and previous university-level studies are sent to the School of Graduate Studies by all universities previously attended. All hard copy transcripts received as part of an application for admission must be received in sealed envelopes.

    Final transcripts:
    Hard copy original official transcript showing degree completion and conferral, will be required from all applicants who accept an offer of admission to graduate studies at Queen's University. These final transcripts are to be sent directly from the issuing institutions to the School of Graduate Studies, in sealed envelopes.

    Transcripts sent from the issuing university should be sent to:

    School of Graduate Studies
    Queen's University
    Gordon Hall Room 425
    74 Union Street
    Kingston, Ontario
    Canada K7L 3N6

    ii) Two academic references (your referees will be sent an email with the link to fill out their reference) 
    iii) If English Proficiency Testing is required, an official report from the testing agency 
    iv) If you are in the process of completing an undergraduate or Master's degree when you apply, you must provide a final copy of your transcript indicating that the degree has been granted before you can start your studies with us. 
    A GRE is not required or considered.

  5. A non-refundable application fee (currently $105 CDN) is due at the end of your application. You must be able to pay the fee on-line with a Visa or MasterCard number. If you are unable to provide a credit card number, then you must request a paper application be mailed to you. Please email Graduate Program Assistant to request a paper application.

  6. As long as you have the agreement of your potential supervisor you can defer your offer of acceptance within the academic cycle to which you have applied. Academic cycles begin in September and end in August. If you wish to defer for a full year you will need to fill out a new application, request up-to-date reference letters and pay the application fee again. You can request that your supporting documents be transferred to the new application by making an email request to

  7. The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering accepts students starting in September and January of each academic cycle. However the best opportunity to begin your studies is often in September. When you apply for graduate studies, there is a drop down box where you can choose one of these entry dates.

  8. Can I get help with housing?

    Housing for graduate students at Queen's

    International students should also see the International Housing Office at for more information. 

    One aspect of the "broader learning environment" that characterizes a Queen's education is the residential nature of the campus. Queen's University Residences foster community spirit and provide students with a rich and vibrant community where they interact and explore exciting opportunities available on campus. As a grad student, you can be just steps away from your lab or the library. 

    Three residence locations exist on campus for graduate students. All rooms are fully furnished. 

    Graduate Residence 

    Located at the John Deutsch University Centre (JDUC) in the middle of campus and close to many amenities, the Graduate Residence houses approximately 90 men and women in a co-ed environment. All rooms are singles and include private bathrooms. 

    Harkness International Hall 

    Located one block north of campus on Earl Street, Harkness offers three floors of single rooms with common living rooms and kitchens for every 12 students. Washrooms are communal. This residence is home to newly-arrived international students and internationally-minded Canadian students. 

    Jean Royce Hall 

    Located 3 kilometers from the centre of campus at Union Street and Sir John A. Macdonald Boulevard, Jean Royce Hall houses graduate and professional students in single rooms with shared washrooms. Jean Royce features a social centre, the Faculty of Education library and a gymnasium. 

    Off-Campus Housing

    If you prefer to live off-campus, there are many options to consider. The Apartment and Housing Service manages the University-owned rental units, including two apartment complexes located at West Campus (September leases): 

    John Orr Tower 

    This complex has 123, one-bedroom apartments, each with a balcony and mainly populated by single students and student couples. 

    An Clachan

    This complex has 250, spacious one, two and a limited number of three-bedroom apartments. First priority is given to student couples. The two-bedroom units are suitable for couples with children. The buildings surround a spacious courtyard and playground. 

    Queen's also owns and manages a number of properties located near campus, with May to September leases. 
    Special considerations

    If you have special needs where accommodation or building adaptation may be required, Queen's Residences will meet your needs to the best of its ability. These needs may include mobility restrictions, blindness or low vision, hearing limitations, psychiatric conditions, chronic illness, learning disabilities, religious practices, sexual orientation concerns. Fill out the Special Considerationssection of the Residence Application Form.

  9. There are several orientation sessions that are either mandatory or extremely useful for new graduate students. The School of Graduate Studies expects final registration to be completed during the first week of September. During this week, one day is devoted to Electrical and Compter Engineering Orientation and Departmental TA training. Additionally, you are required to take WHMIS training before entering the laboratories and register to take a TA training session before you begin your Teaching Assistantship. The Graduate Program Assistant will contact all new students to inform them of any mandatory sessions during this time.

  10. Your application will be circulated to all full-time Faculty Members in our department. There may be a Faculty Member with an open graduate position who is willing to accept you; however, it will increase your chances of being made an offer if you contact potential supervisors who work in your area of interest. 

    Go to ECE Faculty to review each professor's research interests. 

    Go to Areas of Research to explore the main areas of research offered in Electrical and Computer Engineering and to learn about our centers for research.