Academic Integrity

Information pertaining to Academic Integrity is available on the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science website: Departure From Academic Integrity (DFAI)

See also the Queen's University Senate Policy on Academic Integrity.

Lab Tenant Agreement

For all students/staff/visiting researchers renting a study carrel or cubicle in Walter Light Hall, please review and fill out the Lab Tenant Agreement form (PDF).

Off-Campus Activity Safety Policy

The Off-Campus Activity Safety Policy (OCASP), approved by the Board of Trustees, came into effect on September 1, 2004. The full policy and associated forms can be accessed on the Environmental Health and Safety website. The policy applies to all University-sanctioned off-campus activities, including course-related field trips, road trips by University sponsored athletic teams, field research, research and conference travel, administrative travel, etc. (See the Off-Campus Activity Safety Policy for a complete definition of its scope.) Under the policy, any such activity must be assessed in terms of its risk level. Depending on the risk level ("Low Risk", defined as risks similar to those that participants would face in every-day life; or "Higher Risk", defined as risks greater than those that participants would face in every-day life), the policy requires different levels of advance planning and, in the case of "higher-risk" activities, the completion of a detailed risk assessment and preparation of a safety plan and advance approval.

For all "Higher-Risk" activities, the principal form, the Safety Planning Record - Form 1, must be completed by the activity's Principal Investigator or Activity Coordinator, and approved in advance by that individual's supervisor. The Safety Planning Record must be completed on-line and submitted through the OCASP Data Warehouse. It is the responsibility of each Department/Unit Head to ensure that all people in the respective department/unit comply with the policy.

The OCASP is administered and supported by the Department of Environmental Health and Safety, which also offers training (see OCASP Training) and advice on how to comply with the policy. Please contact Dan Langham, Director, Environmental Health and Safety, for additional information.

Emergency Support Program (ESP)

The Queen's University International Centre (QUIC) supports Queen's students, faculty and staff in their preparations for study/work/travel abroad by facilitating the Emergency Support Program (ESP) for Study/Work/Travel Abroad. All undergraduate students participating in Queen's University sanctioned international activities are required to register in the ESP. All other participants are encouraged, and in some cases required, to do so. It is the responsibility of the Faculty/Department to ensure that its members who are travelling abroad are aware of and comply with this requirement.

To enrol in the ESP, attendance at QUIC's pre-departure orientation session is normally required. The information provided in these sessions is intended to assist with preparations for a safe and healthy sojourn abroad and provide resources that will be of assistance to those completing the risk assessment section of the Off-Campus Activity Safety Policy Form 1. Those participating in pre-departure orientation sessions are provided with important information on such topics as: travel logistics, cross-cultural communication and adaptation, academic/work systems abroad, health and safety abroad, health insurance, the risks and responsibilities associated with studying/working/travelling abroad, the role of the program participant as an ambassador for Queen's, emergency planning and support.

For more information on the Emergency Support Program for Study, Work or Travel Abroad please visit

Purchase and Procurement of Goods

This policy is intended to supplement the Strategic Procurement Services policy found on the Strategic Procurement Services website.


The purchase and procurement of all goods (including free company samples) must be processed through Technical Services by submitting the request via e-mail to

Personal shipments are not to be addressed to the University.

Account Code

All orders, including the procurement of free company samples, must include an account code to cover costs associated with the acquisition, e.g. customs clearance, duties/taxes.

Receipt of Goods

The ECE Main Office in WLH-416 will receive all goods submitted through Goods are logged upon receipt and inventoried. The person initiating the purchase/procurement will be notified of the receipt and arrangements made for delivery.

NOTE: Goods that arrive without any record of purchase/procurement or without project account/billing information through will be refused and returned to the shipper.


There are a number of conditions that require the provision of quotes for the acquisition of goods. They include:

  • Any acquisition over CDN$5,000
  • Any acquisition over CDN$10,000 requires a second competitive quote
  • In the event an item over CDN$10,000 can only be supplied by one company; you need to fill out the Single or Sole Source Certification (PDF).
  • Acquisitions known or expected to exceed $100,000CDN are subject to the Agreement on Internal Trade and must be posted on the MERX on-line bidding system. Technical Services can assist with the process.


Graduate students must submit all orders via This MUST include written approval and billing account codes from their supervisor. Orders that do not include authorization and account codes for billing purposes will be refused.

Supervisors are responsible to authorize students to order samples; any charges that occur will be charged back to the supervisor's account code.

Return Merchandise Authorization

Goods that need to be returned to the manufacturer must be accompanied by a Return Merchandise Authorization as provided by the company. In addition, any returns/shipments that are cross-border must include an export documentation questionnaire form found here.

Food Events - Hosting Permits

Department and Club Events involving food not provisioned by Food Services will require permits.

Permit Form

Background material: